Moving is a daunting task, whether you’re doing it yourself or hiring professional movers. There’s a lot to think about, and it’s easy to overlook something important. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of 10 moving tips from the pros to help make your move as seamless as possible. A moving company like Woodside Moving Company can help take the stress out of the process.
- Start planning early= The earlier you start planning your move, the less stressed you’ll be. Make a list of everything you need to do and give yourself plenty of time to get it all done.
- Purge anything you do not need= One of the biggest mistakes people make when moving is packing up everything they own, even things they don’t use or need. Go through your belongings and clear anything you don’t want to take with you. This will save you time and money in the long run.
- Pack an essentials box- This is a box (or boxes) that contains everything you’ll need on your first day in your new home. Pack items like toiletries, bedding, cleaning supplies, etc. so that you’re not scrambling to find them when you move in.
- Label your boxes- This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to label all of your boxes with both the contents and the room they belong in. This will save you a heaps of time and frustration when it comes to unpacking later on.
- Don’t forget about your utilities- Do remember to contact your utility providers (electricity, gas, water, etc.) ahead of time to let them know you’re moving and provide them with your new address/contact information.
- Forward your mail- Don’t forget to forward your mail to your new address! You can do this online through the USPS website or by filling out a change-of-address form at your local post office.
- Update your contact information-Remember to update your contact information with everyone who needs it—friends, family, employers, doctors, etc.—so that they know how to reach you after you’ve moved.
- Hire professional movers if needed= If you’re not confident in your ability to move everything yourself, don’t hesitate to hire professional movers who can do it for you—they’re worth every penny!
- Update your driver’s license/ID= Once you’ve moved, ensure you update your driver’s license/ID with your new address so that it’s accurate if/when pulled over or stopped by authorities.
- Change your address with the DMV= Lastly, don’t forget to change your address with the DMV so that all of your documents (license plate registration, car insurance) reflect your new address as well!
A successful move requires careful planning and execution—but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming! By following these 10 tips from the pros, you can make sure that everything goes smoothly and that nothing is forgotten along the way.